- Are you certified or working towards your certification?
- What did your training entail?
- How long have you been practicing?
- How many births have you attended? At home? At hospital? At birth center?
- What is your philosophy about birth?
- Why did you decide to become a doula?
- What is your philosophy about a partner's involvement?
- What is your on-call availability?
- Do you use a back-up or work with a partner?
- How will I reach you?
- What are your fees and what do they include?
- Can you provide names of former clients as references?
"How Do I Find a Doula that is Right for Me?"
If you are considering using a doula for your birth, it is important to find a doula who is the right fit for you. Each doula brings her own philosophies and personality to the birth.
While fees, services, availability and philosophies vary among doulas, one of the most important considerations is your own instinct- are you comfortable with this person?
As you interview potential doulas, here are some questions you may want to ask: